Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mom on a rampage

You know how you see something and you get sooo upset when you see it you have no idea how to respond?? That is exactly how I felt when I saw the new "mom-versation" from Motrin. I am definitely more open about "crunchy" baby products now than I was with Emma. I am a babywearer, I go to local babywearing meetings, I love my carrier. With that said... I am literally flabbergasted with the new ad they are running. (If you are interested it is just on the motrin homepage. I will not link them as I don't want more click throughs from my blog.)
Here is the word for word from the ad:

"Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion.
I mean, in theory it’s a great idea.
There’s the front baby carrier, sling, schwing, wrap, pouch.
And who knows what else they’ve come up with. Wear your baby on your side, your front, go hands free.
Supposedly, it’s a real bonding experience.
They say that babies carried close to the bod tend to cry less than others.
But what about me? Do moms that wear their babies cry more than those who don’t?
I sure do!
These things put a ton of strain on your back, your neck, your shoulders. Did I mention your back?!
I mean, I’ll put up with the pain because it’s a good kind of pain; it’s for my kid.
Plus, it totally makes me look like an official mom.
And so if I look tired and crazy, people will understand why."

Seriously? Seriously?? Let me just touch on why I am so annoyed.
Let's start with how in fashion it is. Really? So a ridiculous VP was seen wearing her baby, celebs are wearing their babies so now it is the cool, hip, trendy thing to do? No, moms (and dads for that matter) have been wearing their little ones for... well, basically since the beginning of babies. My mom wore me when I was a tot, guess she was almost 30 years ahead of the trend.
In theory it is a good idea. Really? Not in theory, it is a good idea if it fits with your parenting style.
Supposedly, it is a great bonding experience. Well, actually it is a great bonding experience. Thanks to babywearing I have the ability to throw in a load of laundry, do the dishes, run after a crazy kid... all while having my baby close to me. You can nurse in a carrier. I mean hands free nursing? Yeah. Take that supposedly.
I have never once even been in an ounce of pain while babywearing. If you are, you need to adjust your carry. Carriers are made to distribute the weight evenly across your torso and hips evenly. That is why people can wear their kids for hours upon end with no problem. The mom that is in so much pain, that they need a painkiller... please do some reading online, find a local group, go to a birthing center, get help on your carry. There is no shame in asking for help. Maybe you just don't have the best carrier pick for you and your baby.
It totally makes me look like an official mom. Really? I guess carrying a kid around for 9 months doesn't do that.
If I look so tired and crazy people know why. Again, really? How about a baby up every couple hours and crying? I think that has made me far more crazy than babywearing.

I have already written an email to Motrin explaining my distaste for the ad. I think that it makes them look ignorant. I can't wait to see what their retort is. Whoever approved this ad should lose their job. Maybe they should try babywearing before contorting it to make it seem like such a painful experience. The condescending tone is another issue. Congrats Motrin on making moms all over pissed off beyond belief at your ignorance. It will be a cold day in hell before they get any of my money.
Poor timing as well... the ad started playing during babywearing week. Wow just wow.

No comments: