Saturday, April 28, 2012

I made it.

This past week was one that I wasn't particularly looking forward to. It was a week filled with book fair, mileage club and grant team review with the United Way. I had scheduled myself around 32 hours of volunteer time. I am just happy to report that I made it through the week and I didn't lose my mind in the process.

As my first year as book fair co-chair, I was kind of unsure about what I actually got myself into. We had set our goal higher than we had in the past and we hoping to be able to attain it. Well, we kicked that book fair's ass!! $500 over our new and improved higher goal! Being able to tell the teachers that they had more money per student than they expected was AMAZING!

The kids at school have been rocking mileage club. (*For those of you that are unsure what exactly mileage club is... we set up a course that is 1/4 mile long. Every lap that is run is tracked by a hole punch in a card. Once a child reaches 5 miles, they receive a small plastic foot or toe token. There are special prizes along the way- certificates on their lockers, water bottles, special toe tokens and pencils.) Our kids are KILLING it!! Not only do we have 300 of the 325 kids signed up, but our average miles per student is over 5 miles higher than the program average. I am honestly so proud to be a part of this program and love being able to watch our kids being healthy.

Grant team was really cool. I was able to sit down and watch the entire grant process deliberation and awarding. I was asked again to join the community investment committee which is yet another huge honor. :)

I finally feel like I am finding my place in this community.

No comments: