Thursday, January 21, 2010

I think the time has come

As I realized that 30 is approaching a little bit quicker than I anticipated... it is time to become a big kid. Time to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. It is high time that I go back to school and finally get a degree. The big question that is weighing on my mind is.... what in the heck do I want to do? I have no clue what I want to do with my life. Event planning is a possibility, the only issue there is that I have no idea how to get started. I don't even know where to begin. I would like to think that getting a job in the field would be ideal, but finding jobs are far and few between right now. (At least in Michigan.) Don't get me wrong, I like my job enough... for a job. I am getting older though, and bartending isn't exactly something that works well when you become old and moldy. People don't want their beer served by an old lady, they want hot, young, perky girls. I am already on the old end of the spectrum where I work. I am surrounded by 22 year olds. Tangent aside, it scares the crap out of me. I need to take this next step though. The idea of stepping back into a classroom and going that whole college route really makes me want to squirm. I didn't really like it in the first place, I doubt that will change. Well, I guess that I will just have to suck it up and deal. Another problem... what do I go to school for? I mean I am committed to event planning? Like committed enough to go pay for a degree?? I have no idea. Seriously, I am indecisive as it is... let alone about something that will impact the rest of my life. Oy. What kind of degree does a planner get? Comm? HR? Management? To be honest all of those degrees sound SUPER boring. I bet that I will want to stab myself in the face multiple times during those classes. My first worry should be getting pre-reqs out of the way though. I am hoping that I can do the rest of the pre-reqs I need at the community college and then transfer to Michigan State. But, if I am going to do this I want to be sure. I don't want to repeat my past and take a bunch of classes for something to realize that I want to do something completely different. That is part of the reason that I haven't gone back yet. I don't feel the need to go to school and waste money on classes when I am not even sure what I want to be. Any advice?

No comments: